Friday, July 31, 2009

Review ; First Night by Tom Weston




ABOUT THE BOOK/: Alexandra O’Rourke, aged 16, is not a happy camper. It's New Year’s Eve. She should be partying in San Diego with her friends, but instead she is stuck in Boston, with just her younger sister, Jackie, for company. As if that wasn’t bad enough, she is being haunted by Sarah, the ghost of a seventeenth century Puritan. Oh, and there is the small matter of the charge of witchcraft to be sorted out.

Armed only with big shiny buttons and a helping of Boston Cream Pie, the sisters set out to restore the Natural Order. Can Alex solve the mystery of the Devil’s Book? Can Jackie help Sarah beat the sorcery rap? And can they do it before the fireworks display at midnight? Because this is First Night - and this is an Alex and Jackie Adventure.





(taken from tom-weston.com)


THE REVIEW /:

Elements ;

1. Shocking Factor - 8/10
2. Thrilling Factor - 7/10
3. Funny Factor - 9/10
4. Honesty Factor - 8/10
5. Originality Factor - 9/10

and

Narrator's Voice - 8.5/10

Overall conclusion
-I didn't know what to expect of this book. I've never been a fan of mysteries or anything ghost related. The first few chapters were dragging but after I got the hang of the story, I finally realised the necessity of the introduction. Tom Weston writes beautifully, his words almost poetic. The conversations are mildly humorous. What I felt very strongly about this book was how strong the characters are. My favourite would be Jackie for her jokes and sarcasm. The plot wasn't very suspensful but its good enough to make you curious about what happens next. When I'm not reading the book, I'm trying to guess how Sarah can prove that she's not into witchcraft. The journey in this novel is a very memorable one. I love how everything connects and while reading, I was very eager to connect the dots. I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome of the book and glad that I picked this novel as a turning point for me to venture in this type of genre. This would be a great pick for those who are trying to venture on the book genre. I look forward for the next Alex and Jackie adventure.



TIQA

6 comments:

  1. Hello Tiqa,

    Thank you for this review - the first from Malaysia for First Night.

    Regards,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blurb just sounds SO offbeat and random, that its GOOD!
    its totally added to my reading list!

    http://perfectionishuman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I enjoyed reading your blog and was wondering if you could look into and blog about my inspirational work of young adult urban fiction that depicts the journey of a female protagonist whose pursuit of success leads her to uncover things about herself. She set out to achieve her dream but found her purpose...Check it out here http://www.amazon.com/Out-Miry-Clay-Telika-Howard/dp/0557073782/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249495644&sr=8-1 you can also check out a video of me reading an excerpt here and also for more information go to http://www.myspace.com/492698339 or

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Out-of-the-Miry-Clay/138501290428?ref=ts
    FACEBOOK GROUP PAGE http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=out+of+the+miry+clay&init=quick#/group.php?gid=114443564015&ref=search&sid=768613521.526247432..1
    TWITTER: http://twitter.com/outofmiryclay

    Thank you for your time,

    Telika Howard

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First night was a very good book, I can recommend it.

    ReplyDelete